News Release: 2011 PuSh Festival lights up dark winter days
February 07, 2011
For immediate release, February 4, 2011
The seventh annual PuSh International Performing Arts Festival took place in Vancouver January 18–February 6, 2011, and proved an artistic, critical and popular success. Executive director Norman Armour said this about the 2011 Festival:
“This year’s PuSh Festival has been a quantum leap forward. We set out to reconnect with our loyal patrons, to celebrate the City’s 125th Anniversary, to bring back Club PuSh, to re-affirm the role of the Assembly networking event, and to reach out to a broader public. As we close the PuSh Festival’s 7th edition, I am reminded of the sense of adventure, inquiry, curiosity and conversation at the heart of PuSh. Our mission and vision were affirmed with increased attendance, unprecedented public and private sector support, a newfound presence in social networking spheres, in print and broadcast media, and an ongoing dialogue with an intelligent and impassioned community of bloggers. Thank you all for making the 2011 PuSh International Performing Arts Festival one of our finest.”
Overview of the 2011 Festival:
• Audience numbers reached over 23,000, increasing more than 20% from the 2010 Festival audience numbers.
• 17 Main Series shows, a mapping symposium, and the triumphant return of Club PuSh and the PuSh Assembly networking event totaled almost 150 performances and events at 11 venues in Vancouver.
• Work was presented from Canada, the United States, the United Kingdom, France, Switzerland, Argentina, Australia, Belgium, Poland and Germany.
• PuSh was involved in the commissioning of six different works that were presented during the Festival, and housed seven international artists in residency from London, Berlin and Buenos Aires.
• The Festival was supported by a dedicated roster of over 100 volunteers.
• 21 Downtown Eastside residents were employed in various positions including Box Office and
Front of House with the support of the City of Vancouver’s Great Beginnings Program.
“This year’s festival marked a turning-point for PuSh, with many critical aims accomplished, prime among them the wider propagation of the good news about the many surprising and rejuvenating ways that PuSh lights up our dark winter days. This year’s edition has rooted the festival even more firmly in the city, enabling a loyal and enthusiastic audience to discover powerful and moving shows like 100% Vancouver and City of Dreams, while at the same time opening our eyes wide to alternative forms of performance, like La Marea and PodPlays, and to the riches of the outside world with shows like Floating and Bonanza. The crowded and lively ambience of Club PuSh, meanwhile, was the perfect place to share impressions and opinions … and to absorb even more of the inspired, off-kilter programming of our curatorial team, not least the hilarious and touching discoveries of flipbook artist Volker Gerling. Bravo to Norman Armour, Sherrie Johnson and the entire PuSh team for the most successful PuSh yet.” – Board President Max Wyman, OC.
The dates for the 2012 PuSh International Performing Arts Festival are set for January 17 to February 5, 2012.
Media Contact: Ellie O’Day, O’Day Productions | 604 731 3339 | email@example.com PuSh International Performing Arts Festival | pushfestival.ca