PuSh People: Volunteer Coordinator, Alba Calvo’s Top 10 Reasons to Volunteer in 2014
October 28, 2013
Usually, when the PuSh Festival welcome wagon rolls around we post a simple but warm and friendly profile on our new PuSh family members. This time, in the spirit of celebrating our 10th Anniversary PuSh Festival, we thought we’d spring a test on our ever-so-eager new Volunteer Coordinator, Alba Calvo. Here is Alba’s Top 10 Reasons to Volunteer with PuSh Festival in 2014! Oh, and if you prefer to jump straight to Alba’s bio, head to the bottom of the page. But we think a Top 10 is much more fun!
Alba’s Top 10 Reasons to Volunteer with PuSh Festival in 2014
- You only need to dedicate FOUR hours to be a volunteer. Each shift is only 4 hours long, and earns you a volunteer voucher to see a PuSh Festival performance of your choice (subject to availability, so get in quick!).
- It can make you feel great! Being part of the team Push Festival 2014 makes me feel really happy! I am a very lucky person!!!!
- You get a FREE 2014 PuSh Festival t-shirt – money cannot buy you this limited edition memorabilia, it’s only for volunteers!
- You could meet some great people, maybe even new friends!
- Volunteering can give you work experience and lead to great opportunities! I volunteered for PuSh in 2012 and 2013, as well as I participated in PuSh Assembly’s Phil Soltanoff’s workshop. Being a part of PuSh put in contact with amazing people and helped me get to where I am right now. Find out more about the volunteer roles we have to offer.
- I know what it’s like to be a volunteer, so I’ll be working with you. As the Volunteer Coordinator I am responsible for developing and implementing the Festival’s volunteer program, as well as working with all festival volunteers. To work together we need to be flexible and communicate!
- There’s a fun new Facebook group – just for PuSh volunteers! “Friend” your fellow volunteers and pick-up/swap shifts!
- You could experience some AH-MAZING events for FREE. Volunteers get free admission to certain PuSh Festival performances (subject to availability)! My favourite PuSh Festival moments so far include: Amarillo!!!Testament!!King Lear!!!
- You will receive an invitation to the Festival Closing Party for yourself and a friend, where there is ALWAYS karaoke.
Alba Calvo’s Bio
Alba hails from the island of Mallorca, Spain, on the Mediterranean sea. She studied Drama, and has a post-graduate degree in Cultural Management. Alba has worked as a Production Assistant for various international festivals and films, as well as Stage & Tour Manager in theatre. She arrived in Vancouver in 2011 to study English, since then she has worked and volunteered with a variety of arts organizations, including the 2013 PuSh Festival. Through all her experience, Alba has learned to build productive relationships with artists, administrative personnel, volunteers, community leaders and members of the public: “I have learned how to develop and produce projects as I continue to learn how to become a lovely human being”.